Saturday, September 24, 2011

MSUB Week 3

Everything was fine with the Excel spreadsheet except, what I can't figure out, is that your raw numbers kept shifting. When a kid gets a 20 on a quiz, I enter a 20 and that number does not shift. For some reason, your numbers did. I can understand the percentage shifting, but not the raw numbers. Did I do something wrong? As a result, I couldn't total your raw numbers and divide them by the raw possible total to get a percentage. I am really good at the basic Excel I need to know, but I need a class on higher levels formulas. The online stuff you posted didn't go beyond basics. What is sad to say is that, when I worked on my Undergrad 35 years ago, I had to take Fortran, Basic, Cobalt, and I hated that -- it has led to an aversion to computers and stats that is with me still.

Biggest barrier to tech in an international school for individual teachers is time. We land in a new country just a few days before we start at a new school. We have to learn the culture, enough language to get by, buy basics like food and sometimes furniture, learn to handle new cuisine and experiences, recover from jet lag, unpack everything, and then learn our new schools culture and layout. All this on the fly. We are on 2 to 3 year contracts, so we pack up our tent and move on to the next exotic locale . Tough to establish set routines and any sense of permanent structure for our classes. I've never taught higher than G2 and 3 English, and now I am doing G6 math, science, LA, and health, plus G8 social studies and coaching volleyball. Lot to learn in short time period, and my kids are still just getting used to their new lap tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment