Sunday, September 18, 2011

China Daily

Wow, what a weekend. My father died less than 72 hours ago and I'm still trying to figure out home to get home for his memorial service from halfway round the globe. To access this Blog, which I created while in Germany this summer, I had to download and install a VPN on my computer, with Jack's help. After successfully clearing the tech hurdle, having the VPN has been liberating -- it allowed me to access Facebook again, for the first time in seven weeks, and that contact with the outside world has really lifted my spirits. Now, after letting out one of our cats, Toby, I'm worried that he hasn't come home and it is almost midnight. He used to do this in Qatar and in Montana, but he doesn't meow Chinese and has only been here ten days. I keep going to the door of our flat and call for him, but no response yet. Too early with him to panic.

In response to my questions from my Tech in Ed class, I haven't been in the class long enough to learn a great deal, but I had great professional development in the last week with using the SmartBoard in class. Now, if my classroom only had one. I am using Classjump.com for my class web page and management site -- the kids upload their homework to me, and I use the calendar to schedule their assignments, tests, etc. This is new for me, and so I'm still getting past the rough spots. I have to train other staff members in using PowerTeacher, our school gradebook program, since I used it the last two years in Qatar.

Also, I am very frustrated with the online learning site MSUB is using -- it does not flow well, it is not user friendly, and it is poorly laid out. The email system is a joke, and very hard to read on a 15 inch laptop screen. I didn't like the old system MSUB had, but it was better than the new one.

Had my iPhone stolen two weeks ago and feel lost without it. Had the "Find My iPhone" app installed, and it tracked the phone for a while, but no response for more than 10 days. We looked at buying iPads when we were in Germany, but the top of the line was 800 euros, and with the exchange rate, that makes it more than 1200 USD (at that time).

Jack and I are scheduled to lead the Grade 11 and 12s to a week long trip to Szechuan province a week from today, which I am looking forward to; Jack is homeroom adviser for Grade 11 and teaches G11 and 12 in AP history.

Anyway, it's been a tough weekend. Hope my cat comes home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment